PC or Mac?
This is a question that gets asked a lot. The short answer is, it depends. Macs are popular with graphic designers and with students. They are easy to use and are stable. While there are less viruses for Macs there are not as many games as there are for PCs. If you are not a gamer than this is not an issue. The nice thing is Macs come with a program called boot camp which allows you to load Windows 10 and boot to it whenever you would like.
- Stable – not many problems
- Really don’t have to worry about viruses
- Can load windows 10 with boot camp and dual boot
- familiar and user-friendly User Interface(UI)
- May not be able to upgrade/repair Mac Book (i.e. add RAM change hard drive)
- Not friendly for gamers
PCs by far are the most popular. There are many vendors that make great PCs. Dell, Lenovo and Microsoft to name a few. PCs
have great software options and are good for gamers. PCs are popular in the business world because they are easy to repair
and upgradeable if needed. You can even build your own PC if you want! Windows is the popular OS on PC and while it has had its ups and downs,
Windows 10 is the latest version and its seems to run well and is pretty stable.
- Easy to upgrade and repair
- Not as expensive as Mac’s
- Many hardware options from many vendors
- Great for gaming
- Always gets the latest version of Microsoft Office
- Many viruses are targeted for PC/Windows
- May not be as stable as Linux or Mac
At the end of the day it’s really up to you. It might be helpful to go to a Microcenter or Best Buy and try out each platform. You really can’t go wrong with either one and it all depends which you like best!
Watch out for ransomware! 05/27/2017
What is ransomware? ransomware is a virus that is downloaded (usually through clicking on a spam email link) and installed to your computer. This virus will start
encrypting your files, any files, so you cannot access them. When you try to access the encrypted file, your computer will open a webpage
asking you to contact the hijaker and pay them money to unlock your files. Sometimes the highjacker will unlock your files, sometimes they will
just take your money!
How to prevent ransomware?
As stated above, ransomware is usually sent through an unsolicited email. You must also click this email for the ransomware software to be installed to your
- Never open any emails from an unknown sender
- Always have up to date virus software